Mermaid Costume

20120918-140624.jpg

20120918-140624.jpgMy kids were invited to a mermaid party and so we decided to put a costume together.  My son wanted to be a crab.  That was a lot easier and I hopefully will get that put together soon to show you,too.  This took about 4ish hours in total to get done.

 

 

 

 

 

 

I searched the web and pinterest for some tutorials and settled on this one at ikatbag as my favorite:

I took my daughter shopping and we were thrilled to find that JoAnn’s had the exact same fishy fabric.  We decided to go with a sparkly tail fin fabric that had more substance to it than the original called for.  For the accents, Quinn picked pink and gold lame.  The green, pink and gold are all the same fabric.  It is a stretch knit that has been painted.  The downside of this fabric is that when it stretches, it gets the appearance of a “run” like in panty hose.  A little disappointing, but you can’t tell from a distance.

Here are the pieces cut out.  I followed the instructions pretty closely, but I made the fish hips so that they curved out more.  It seemed fishier and I thought it would give her more mobility.

20120918-140638.jpg

I took the picture below after she went to the party.  You can see on the waistband a couple of the “runs.”  They really aren’t runs, the fabric is fine, it’s just the fabric’s paint/coating cracks along the stretch lines.

20120918-140755.jpg

20120918-140651.jpg

For the bottom fabric, I doubled it in half and sewed through the two cut edges and left the folded part at the bottom to give more poofiness.

20120918-140809.jpg

The original plan was that she was going to wear a tank top that we already owned that had fish on it.  Once this tail was all done and sparkly, the shirt looked drab.  I decided that I had enough of a remnant left to make a little shirt to match.

I traced around a tank that she already had.  I didn’t want it to be skin-tight or showing her midriff like most of the typical mermaid costumes.  I was going to have it tuck straight in, but  I ended up liking it bloused out a bit.

I sewed a little elastic in the top and just let the shirt hand down from there.  I used a remnant of the pink to make the straps.  This was a terrible idea.  My sewing machine was crying with multiple layers of that sticky fabric.  After breaking thread and getting loop monsters on the back for the zillionth time, I managed to get something held together enough to make straps.

20120918-140831.jpg

She loved it!

20120918-140608.jpg

I’m really hoping that she wants to be a mermaid for Halloween.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

One comment

  • Thank you for inviting me to come see your mermaid costume! It turned out really lovely! And what a great idea to have a matching top! Much more modest than our bandeau thingies, and probably much easier to sew. I hope Quinn DOES want to be a mermaid for Halloween! Hopefully it doesn’t get as frigid there as it does in these parts. Mermaid costumes wouldn’t work here, sadly; if they did, I’d have my Halloween costumes already all done for this Oct!!!

Leave a Reply